Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Last Minute Wedding Gift

I needed a last minute wedding gift last weekend (we were invited last minute because they weren't sure there would be enough room at their venue). I has seen this tutorial on Brassy Apple where she took letter stickers, put them on fabric, painted over them and then peeled them off to reveal the fabric underneath. I was in the thrift store and saw an ugly print in a frame, when it hit me. Why not use the same technique on a print you would never in a million years hang in your house?

I bought a print in a frame for $1. I cut letters out of clear contact paper using my Cricut and SCAL software (no sense in wasting vinyl on this).  I put the letters on the print like so:


Okay, I know it's hard to see clear contact paper, but if you look really closely, you can see a few of them toward the top.

Then I spray painted several thin layers over everything:


After it dried completely, I peeled off the letters to reveal this:


I love the result. The vintage tone of the print underneath is really neat. I did spray over the whole thing with a clear coat for a little extra protection. I probably would have put an extra something in vinyl on either side of the date (a heart perhaps?) but the couple I was giving this to is a little more minimalist than I. This project might be my go-to wedding gift from now on.

Don't settle for dull, live a refinished life!

*Shared at:



The Gunny Sack
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea - I love how the forest looks through the letters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I bet the couple loved it! So personal and stylish!

    ReplyDelete