Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What did I do with it?

Last week, I started a new series called "What Should I Do with it Wednesday?" (See original post here). I didn't get any comments with suggestions, but I'm not deterred. I took the gravel sifter, thingy and combined it with parts of this:


to make this:


Didn't that turn out great? I didn't take pictures of the process, but here's what I did. First, I sprayed the whole gravel thingy (yeah, that's what I'm calling it!) with clear matte spray to preserve the rusty wire and the wood. Then, I cut out a square in the wire mesh at the top to fit the lighting fixture through. After that, I unscrewed the pendent fixture parts, took off the ugly lampshade and fed the socket through the hole I cut in the mesh. Then I just had to screw the whole thing back together. I added this funky Edison style bulb I had cause I think it makes it look cool.

Here's some more pictures for your enjoyment:



I can't believe how easy that was! I'm starting to wonder what other stuff I can turn into funky chandeliers. Stay tuned for another installment of What Should I Do With It Wednesday later today!

Don't settle for dull, live a refinished life!

*Shared at:


House on the Way
Fridays Unfolded

14 comments:

  1. WOW!! I am looking for a unique light for my dining room- your light is perfection! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the linky party at At The Picket Fence... Love this idea! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool - I love it!
    osuzeeq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! I'd like to invite you to share this at my party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. I think it'd make a great addition!
    Leslie

    (BTW, could you let me know at houseontheway@gmail.com, if this comment shows up as a "no-repy blogger?" I'm on wordpress and trying to find out if I fixed the problem!)

    I didn't even know it was showing up like that!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for all the great comments everyone.

    House on the Way I'm running over to join your party (and your comment looks find to me)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool!!

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project. Even better it was relatively easy. Now I wish I had something cool like that to make into something else cool like that. Congratulations on a fantastic creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so very cool! I bet you LOVE it!
    Next time I see a gravel sifter thingy I'll know what to do with it......

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! I love how you repurposed it. Amazing!!!

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found a sieve today at an antique shop! Your post will serve as inspiration for my bar project. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erica. I just love this idea for my sons bedroom. He is a prospector so not only would this look really great it would be meaningful to him as well. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I WANT TO KNOW HOW I CAN BUY THIS ITEM
    ammar@xocompany.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet! I have the same sifter thingy! I'd like to make a fixture with 3 or 5 lights, though... There must be a way!

    ReplyDelete